An American Family Portrait
In this series of podcast episodes, I take a look at the Inspirational History of real-life persons and events who lived during the time in which my featured novel was historically set. Today’s hero: John Winthrop, Puritan leader.
- What makes John Winthrop a hero? A hero makes sacrifices for a great cause.
- Born in wealth, John Winthrop sacrificed to finance an expedition of 11 ships to the New World.
- With his wife pregnant at the time of sailing, John Winthrop made personal sacrifices to lead the Puritans to the New World.
- When the colonists were ready to turn back to England, with a speech Winthrop inspired them to build a “city upon a hill” that all men could look up to for inspiration.
- The government and court documents of those early settlers is replete with references to Scripture, indicating their belief that they were beginning a new nation based on faith in God.
Jack’s Next Post
THE COLONISTS: Book 2 in the American Family Portrait series